Thread: 14/39 or 15/42
View Single Post
Old 28-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #13
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
When I fitted my sprocket, the chain was less than 500 miles old and I had no trouble with the change over. Perhaps your eccentric adjuster is slightly seized?

The thing is, if you've not got enough slack now to remove the front sprocket, then you certainly won't be able to fit the larger rear anyway, which requires a longer 106 link chain.

If you genuinely can't remove the front sprocket after slackening the chain, I'd suggest you remove the rear sprocket carrier, since you'd have to do that anyway to fit the 42 sprocket. If you do it now, that will give you the clearance you need to fit the front sprocket and you'll save the cost of a rear sprocket (and new chain).

Is it the original chain do you know? I wonder if it's been replaced with a non-standard shorter one (the correct number of links is 104).

Also, while you have the rear wheel out, I'd recommend checking the eccentric chain adjuster moves smoothly - if the bike's been used in all weathers, then it may need stripping and cleaning if it's showing signs of being notchy or sticking.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote