Thread: 14/39 or 15/42
View Single Post
Old 28-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
As slob says, you won't need to split the chain just to change the front sprocket, just rotate the eccentric chain adjuster completely forward to slacken the chain. Make sure you torque up the pinch bolts properly after you're done (to 31Nm in sequence 1-2-1 after using moly grease). Overtightening can damage the swinging arm.

Your 796 and my 1100 both run the same sprocket and chain set with 104 links. If you want to fit a 42 tooth rear, then you will need to go up two teeth to 106.

Pros and cons?

14/39
For - quick, cheap, easy, no special tools needed, easily returned to stock if required.
Against - tighter chain run gives chain and sprockets a harder time (in theory). Less clearance between top front chain run and swinging arm means the plastic swinging arm protector may wear quicker.

15/42
For - kinder to chain and sprockets. More clearance between chain and swinging arm means swinging arm protector will be untouched.
Against - expense (new chain needed), old chain needs splitting, chain riveter needed, more fitting time required.

I'd say, if your chain has worn out and needs replacing anyway, then go for the 15/42 combination. If your chain and sprockets are still in good condition, (or you're not sure whether lower gearing will suit you), go for 14/39.

For what it's worth, I've been running 14/39 for 10,000 miles with no problems and the chain has only been adjusted about five times, so wear hasn't been an issue.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote