View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 02:53 PM   #13
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Getting on with the repair though the spare arm needed a some minor repairs - the inside where the sprocket carrier fits had the obligatory circular grooves (usually because someone fitted the conical spacer the wrong way, causing it to cut into the ally) and a couple of gouges on either side that looked like passenger footpegs or luggage had cut into it?

Anyway, I took it to a friend who's a wizard with ally welding and he patched it all up nicely for me, also reckons he can repair the old arm so I've left it with him, nothing to lose.

I can see where they've added strength to the later model, the bottom half where the bolt goes through is both thicker and longer, so long that it almost touches the front sprocket;

Don't think a 16 tooth sprocket would fit!

As for the thickness, it requires a 5mm longer bolt so 5mm thicker, plus the fact the counterbores have some meat in front of them adds a decent amount of strength, I would think (hope).

All (mostly) together now and, unlike before I can fit the snap-rings on the spindle so it can't pull out even if the clamping fails.

But whilst doing the job I've decided the tyre's not worth re-fitting so I've got a new one coming and I lost one of the rubber bungs when the spindle pulled through so some on the way along with a few spare snap-rings and normal service will be resumed.

Probably won't get the new tyre until Monday so won't be out on it over the weekend but good to have it all back together again.

One plus of the unbraced arm is that, no longer do I need to cut the chain if I want to remove it which helps a little for maintenance purposes.

Out of curiosity, I checked on bike-parts-ducati.com and new swingarms are available at £1,583.89.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote