Thread: Royal Purple?
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #12
Flip

Bike: M900
This has been an interesting thread for me too as a year ago I bought my new Moto Guzzi V7 and that has quite a 'car like' set up of engine (10w60), gearbox (75w-90) and final drive (75w-140), presumably all safe in their modern applications?

It got interesting as the oil partner for the Piaggio group is Castrol but the recommended 10w60 engine oil is not imported into the UK which means every main dealer is using another make-certainly the local Piaggio dealers near me selling Aprillia, Vespa, Moto Guzzi use Rock Oil, obviously as long as this meets the required standard it is fine but it did rather make me laugh when under the seat it has a label proudly stating 'Lubricated by Castrol'.

After a chat with Opie Oils technical chaps there were two options available for me, Motul and Silkolene with the Motul being the best option as apparently it's make-up is closer to that of Castrol.

This made me wonder how many other main dealers don't use the manufacturers recommended brand of oil as I remember years ago a family run Yamaha dealership (which sadly closed due to the corporate strings being tightened for them to conform to a uniformed showroom like all the other dealerships in the country) use to use Morris lubricants rather than the factory 'Yamalube'.