View Single Post
Old 26-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #101
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Nearly done, a few false dawns on making the banjoes seal but now accomplished.
I basically had 3 problems with the banjoes
1. the BS spec 8mm bore reinforced petrol pipe I was using was not quite 8mm but nearer 8.1mm, it engaged on the barbs on the banjo but was just too easy to push on and when a pipe clip was tightened the pipe lozenged where the worm drive was and left a small gap. Cured by using some thin wall petrol pipe without reinforcement that would probably have sealed without clips as it was extremely difficult to get on the banjo pipe.
2. the sealing face of the banjo was eroded by corrosion and was not quite flat, cured with some 600 W&D on a surface plate, and
3. the fibre washer I had was 0.5mm too large and did not seat correctly, cured with a small flat needle file
New plugs and it started second kick.
The screaming kick-starter ratchet was cured by backing off the pre-load when fitting the lever on the kick-starter shaft. The return spring is too tired to return the kick-starter lever to the stop so I found a 50mm dia 4 coil spring made from circa 1.5mm wire and bent the inner end to abut against an angle in the crankcase cover and the other end of the spring was folded into a U shape to clasp the kick starter lever. To prevent the spring damaging the crankcase I made a 60mm OD x 45mm ID polypropylene washer 3 mm thick and shrouded the ends of the spring with some heat-shrink sleeving and finished off with some 3mm bore polypropylene windscreen washer hose. If it was 2mm thick spring steel and I had bent it more accurately it would have worked perfectly but as it is it almost works, requiring on occasion some manual help to get the lever to sit on the stop.
There are two jobs left to do
a) tune the carburetors, mainly throttle stop position, and the pilot air screw adjustment
b) check the ignition timing - adjustment is via rotation of the pick-up plate and the use of a strobe light on the flywheel.
I also need to renew the tyres as I bought them in 1993, they are barely worn and will probably stay on there until I have given it a good shakedown.

Last edited by 350TSS; 26-06-2021 at 02:20 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote