View Single Post
Old 22-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #100
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Nearly there, but frustratingly, not quite.
I must have spent 6 hours in total trying to get the fuel line banjoes to stop venting fuel to the atmosphere. The banjoes are located on each carburetor on the inner face just above the float bowl. At first, I thought they were leaking from the mating flange to the carburetor body (sealed by a Dellorto bespoke fibre washer). They are retained by a 6mm hex bolt with a handy milled slot to take a flat blade screwdriver, well it would be handy if you could get a flat blade screwdriver on it but the other carburetor always denies access. The space between the carburetors/air filter box/frame tube only allows a stubby 10mm spanner one half a flat movement. I must have had the banjoes on and off about 12 times and if the pipes are connected there is always the fear that the retaining bolt will cross thread/strip the thread in the carburetor body.
wish you were here love poems
I am now pretty certain that the leaks were between the petrol pipe and the banjo pipe, because of the volume of the leak. I have tried the petrol pipe clips with the "ears", the crimp up SS type, and jubilee clips but I still have a leak when the taps are turned on from the area adjacent to the RH carb banjo. I have cut 3 different sets of petrol pipes as taking them on and off makes them looser and therefore more likely to leak. Tomorrow is a new day and I shall prevail.
Bored with removing banjoes, I thought I would see if there was any life in it. Obviously, I could not turn the petrol on so I squirted some carb cleaner down the plugholes, cleaned the plugs and put them back in, and kicked it over. First kick it roared into life and ran until the carb cleaner and what remained in the float bowls was burned off. The only downside was the kick-starter rachet was screaming so I will have to check what I can do about that. You have to pre-load the splined shaft so that the kick-starter lever returns to its stop. I used the maximum permitted measurement of pre-load to ensure that the lever did indeed return to its stop so maybe I have just got to set it up with the minimum permitted pre-load and see if it still screams.

Last edited by 350TSS; 22-06-2021 at 06:03 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote