View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #96
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The Morini is refusing to lie down, fighting me to the last. Today was making the brake and clutch levers (purchased from China <£10 the pair) work with the cables and ensuring that the adjuster on the 2LS front brake plate functioned.
I searched long and hard for brake and clutch levers without switches attached and in natural aluminium but could only find black anodised so they will have to do.
Both the clutch and front brake cable have lever end nipples that have 2 dimensions, 4mm x 6mm tubular and 5.8mm x 5mm tubular, the cables themselves are HD, around 2.8mm. This requires an 8.5mm bar (to fit into the hole cut into the lever) running at 90 degrees to the cable with a slot cut in it so the cable can be attached and the two tubular dimensions cross-drilled through the bar. The larger diameter of the nipple obviously has to stay within the overall bar dimension when fitted so there is not a lot of meat left. God only knows where the original ones went but they were the only things permanently misplaced during the build. It took me about an hour to make them out of brass but about 3 hours with a needle file to make them work smoothly with the levers.

Turning to the front brake adjuster, this was an unforeseen problem, mostly of my own making.
The original brass knurled adjuster had stripped its 7mm x 1.0 thread taking the thread within the brake plate casting with it.
I managed to drill it 7mm and tap it out 8mm x 1.25. First thought was that a stainless cap bolt would do the job if through drilled 3mm and slotted with an angle grinder. When installed the smooth head of the cap bolt rendered it impossible to turn without the aid of mole grips and in any event, the hex in the cap head was not a good fit on the brake cable ferrule. So I decided to make one in brass and when I offered it up I realised I had used an 8mm x 1.0 die. So I had to make another one with the right thread on it 8mm x 1.25.
Who would have thought it would take nearly 8 hours to make a brake and clutch cable work?

Last edited by 350TSS; 11-06-2021 at 07:54 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote