Thread: Ohlins help!
View Single Post
Old 18-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Ohlins help!

I’ve been hunting for years for a DU 333 Ohlins shock (that is the only correct Ohlins fitment for the S4R with remote adjustment). This model shares the exact same length (305mm) and stroke (65mm) as the standard shock on my 2006 S2R 1000 and Ohlins have confirmed the DU 333 works for my bike, even though they don’t officially list it as such (they only list the DU321 S46DR1 - ie no remote pre-load and no compression damping adjustment). Sadly Ohlins don’t make the DU 333 anymore hence a long and fruitless search for a second hand one, or a new one still in stock somewhere. I found one in Japan but couldn’t get it shipped (hazardous goods) and the USA (ditto).

I recently spotted an Ohlins shock on eBay in the EU of the correct 305mm length and flexible hoses that was advertised as caming off an S4R that I therefore hoped was a DU 333 (the model number wasn’t mentioned, nor clear in the photos).

It was being sold at a comparatively cheap buy it now (approx £400) so I took a punt and bought it before it went. I also sent the seller a message asking him to send me a photo showing the model number as a double check before posting it. But he sent the shock straight away and later replied saying he’d only just seen my message and sending a photo of the shock on his S4R assuring me it would fit.

I was dubious it’s fair to say. Anyway it turned up today and sure enough it’s not DU 333. It’s DU 0150, which from some internet research appears to be from a Ducati ST4S. It has the same 305mm length and hoses for remote reservoir and preload adjustment, but the stroke is only 63mm.

As I paid by PayPal, and have screenshots of ohlins website showing DU333 as the only official S4R fitment and that the stroke should be 65mm I could probably just return it and get my money back and get back to searching again.

So after all that, my question is: should I return it? Or should I keep it?

I know some folk have used DU 150 on S2R bikes (I’ve seen threads on here I recall). The shorter remote reservoir hose on the DU 150 doesn’t bother me as I hate the standard DU 333 positioning sitting alongside the engine attached to the trellis on the RHS and planned to adapt the reservoir mounting position anyway. And of course I fully factored in I’d need an expensive service/rebuild and maybe a new spring too (no lettering visible on the spring, so not sure if it’s the same as on DU 333 or not - correct standard fitment would be Spring Rate N/mm:95*N/mm Mounted spring:01092-31). So I know the shock will physically fit on my bike.

But the stroke issue bothers me. It’s only 2mm less travel at the shock, but the normal 65mm travel at the shock gives rear wheel travel of 148mm, so the reduced travel will be magnified at the wheel... and let’s face it, properly functioning suspension is important for safety so not something to take lightly. Ohlins confirmed DU 333 is ok for S2R, but I’ve no such reassurance for the DU 150... I presume the stroke cannot be altered. That said Ohlins official fitment for the S2R - the DU 321 - has a travel of 66mm, ie 1mm MORE than stock! So maybe I shouldn’t get too hung up on small differences in shock travel?

Your thoughts opinions and offers to sell me a freshly serviced DU 333 for cheap gratefully received!
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote