View Single Post
Old 14-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #1148
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The gear lever is now finished apart from polishing and buffing.
In the first picture, I made up a dummy battery to be sure the dimensions would fit and did not interfere with the carburettor float bowls.
free picture upload sites no registration

This is it as fitted.

The battery tray is as I write this curing in the garage in front of a fan heater. I used 3 laminations of CF so it will be a lot lighter than the Mk 1 version and I think there will be room on the right-hand side to mount the starter solenoid and the re-settable main fuse (RCD).
Here are pictures of the battery tray immediately prior to CF lamination.

kinesis back exercises

The rear-drive chain is now also fitted and riveted up. I measured the width across the other links in the chain and then pressed the new rivet link on and managed to get it to within 0.05mm the same.
Applying the chain press individually did not however mean that the squashed head was the same size as the other rivet heads on the rest of the chain, probably because the mandrel in the riveter is a bit bolloxed. The rivet heads were 0.18mm larger than the pins that go through the rollers so I do not think they will be coming off.

One small failure today, I tried to make up the main starter motor cable. I am using 16mm multi-core welding cable and the terminal lugs to fit the starter motor end are fairly robust, so much so that my HD hand-held crimper does not have enough leverage to work. I tried crimping the lug in the vice between two 5mm Allen keys but it just squished the cable out. I think I will manage it that way but I may waste a few lugs until I get the technique.

Finally, one state of play picture

350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote