View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #1146
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
No physical progress over the last couple of days but a clear direction has emerged.
There were two issues to resolve, a smaller battery tray and a new brake lever to avoid my chain tensioner.
My first reaction, when confronted with an issue like the battery tray, is to get into making something to see if it works. This is expensive in materials and time because it usually doesn't. No change on this occasion.

Two 3mm aluminium plates were cut to shape and an appreciable amount of time was spent laboriously squaring them up as I am congenitally incapable of cutting material square.

After about three hours buggering about and contemplating my navel I realised that my proposed design involving parallel plates hung off the frame and attached to the only available fixed point on the frame required me to be accurate in three dimensions and with at least two compound angles for it to be secure in it's chosen location. This design would almost certainly be almost impossible to insert into the frame without removing the carburettors.

There were two chances of this ever working, slim and none.

The second design will be much easier to execute and will be in CF, so half the probable weight of the first. Unfortunately, it requires quite an intricate lay up and as I have run out of the 200gm weave, I have to wait for delivery of fresh supplies of CF.

As far as the gear lever is concerned, I ordered the 6mm plate to fabricate it and this has arrived. Whilst pondering my proposed design I thought that it would be so much better if the bearing surfaces, on the footrest peg itself and, where the reaction rod takes the message to the gear change splined shaft, were sintered bronze bushes, this means that I am also waiting for deliveries of vital raw material.

Hopefully, the postman will curtail this paralysis tomorrow.

Last edited by 350TSS; 10-02-2020 at 09:27 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote