Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
your 900 wasn’t trying to get through 2011 emissions regs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Granted, it's a 2000 model.
So how does giving a bike a gear it can't pull, help with emissions? I though all that was to do with the drive by noise test?
I think slob is using 'emissions' as shorthand for all the emissions/noise regulations contained in European Directive 97/24/EC. This stipulates how the noise test is carried out and probably explains the reason why Ducati have over-geared the bike i.e.

The bike is accelerated flat out between two points 20m apart from a steady 50kph in second gear and then again in third gear after which, the throttle is shut abruptly. The average of the noise readings for both gears is then taken.

With the higher gearing, the bike accelerates less and produces less noise during the testing process.

If the Evo were just carrying higher gearing, it wouldn't be too bad but, coupled with the emissions paraphernalia of exhaust valve, weaker mixture and closed loop hunting and surging, (plus the lighter flywheel), these things all add up to produce horrible low speed running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I find this hard to believe, as my little 900 will pull 6th easily and go down to 30 in top comfortably too, pulling away from that is possible with no down change so long as the throttle is eased on with feeling. (But would normally pop it down a couple when the speed limit ends!)
I'm one tooth down on the rear sprocket as well, so very slightly higher than standard for that year.
Like you, Mr Gazza, I had a 900 Monster (2001 i.e.) and, like you, I remember it being a lot sweeter low down than the Evo. I think the reason for that is, (ignoring the lower capacity), as well as being unencumbered by Euro3 restrictions, the M900, despite having the same stock final drive ratio of 15/39, actually runs lower overall gearing:

So, at 60 mph in top, you'd be doing 3600 rpm on the 900 on Mr Gazza's 15/38 final drive and 3350 rpm on the Evo with standard 15/39 gearing (tables courtesy of https://www.gearingcommander.com/)

1100 Evo

M900

If the M900 has stock 15/39 final drive, then 5th gear on the Evo is virtually equal to top on the 900.

Last edited by Luddite; 18-08-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote