View Single Post
Old 17-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #87
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
OK new pickups fitted ,, bike now runs on both cylinders at 3000rpm BUT will not run below 3000 rpm on both cylinders it spits back ,, I know the carbs are fine its a timing issue but static timing is spot on and air gap is 0.7mm , I have a Draper strobe but it wont work on Ducati , but does on my car and a Yamaha 600??? also the pickup cables are still back to front to make the bike run

Interserting fact is that official Ducati wiring diagram for my bike based on VIN number and wiring colours is for fuel injection model year 2000,, but my bike is year 2000 carby model,, Ducati say that I should use model year 1998-1999 wiring diagram in that case but its missing the carb heaters of my years bike and the colour codes are different for the igniters and coils ????

weirder and weirder

Im sure the timing is not right but I cant see how , I have set it up same as my other 2 750 bikes

and without a strobe I cant tell if its advanced or retarded ..
It really sounds like the issue is the same as mine in reverse.
My strobe would not fire at high revs but would at low. Have you run your strobe when taking the revs above 3000rpm.
As we discussed when we chatted on the phone....if I had the bike and didnt know its history I would definitely be trying with the forward pick up coil (the one at 7 oclock with Yellow and Black) feeding the ignition unit and coil for the Vertical cylinder and the rear pick up coil ( the one at 4 oclock with red and white) feeding the horizontal cylinder.

If it then ran, but didnt run "right" then I would reverse the wiring in each pick up plug to the ignition boxes first one then the other.- (NB NOT SWOP them from one igntion box to another)
If the strobe works AND you do have the wires reversed in the plug it will show it running at full advance 32 degrees? when idling when it should be running at 6 degrees advance.