View Single Post
Old 14-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #15
Flip

Bike: M900
I think a few other questions need to be asked before you decide what route you take to proceed.

Firstly I guess, is why do you want the extra adjustability?

If it's for 'pub bragging rights', have a load of cash burning a hole in your pockets or if you're looking for better set ups as you go from track-day to track-day around the U.K. and beyond then perhaps you might. Softening it up when it's wet and stiffening things when you can really barrel along in the 'fast group' after taking your tyre warmers off and getting out on track.

But if you spend most of the time riding the lovely pot-holed, inconsistently surfaced A and B roads around the Country- then perhaps not (in my opinion, obviously). Where conditions can change around a corner and that sunshine when you left the house turns liquid and you have to ride home in a torrential downpour a couple of hours later.

Riding such roads, i.e. 'normal' riding will always be a compromise to a degree as you ask your suspension to deal with those irregularities and varying road conditions but can be sooo much better than the standard set up the factory gave you.

I get that if you regularly carry a pillion then it might make it a bit nicer to increase the pre-load if you're going for a long enough trip to make it worthwhile doing so (and remembering to set it back afterwards) but again it will always be somewhat of a compromise due to spring weight and the difference carried between solo and two up. Personally, whenever I take a pillion I'm always riding with that little extra in reserve anyway so I never really notice my suspension not being completely optimal.

Next question would be, how much of getting your forks set up do you want to do yourself?

I mean, a lot of us like some spanner time bonding with our bikes in the peace and quiet of the garage and to get that warm feeling when it's all back together so....

If you want the extra satisfaction of stripping, cleaning, replacing all the bushes etc. before fitting completely new cartridges then reassembling it all before going out to fine tune it all then great- go a route like Nirton and one of their excellent looking cartridge kits. I cannot praise their products or customer service highly enough and I am sure with the support they will offer it wouldn't be long before you had it sorted after using their base settings.

But if you can't wait to get out and feel the difference after getting the bike back together with settings that will work perfectly (in my experiences) knowing you have used one of the best companies in Europe for suspension then go to Maxton.

I have said it many times here (sorry to bore some of you) but it's what they do- you only have to look at the number of riders (and types of motorcycles from current nutter sports bikes to classic machinery) that choose Maxton for their TT and Classic TT entries (not to mention short circuit racing) to know that their suspension works on the road and it works no matter how fast or whatever type of riding you do.

It was through racing my 1965 250 Ducati that I discovered just how much they can improve things- I thought anything would be better than the gear oil filled forks I had but I was totally blown away, even with the basic set-up (which I chose as I replaced the rear shocks as well and had a budget) just how much better it was.

Part 2 to follow....