View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Ron's suggestion to use tie-wraps is a good one. The stock 1100S springs are 7.5N/mm, which might be a tad soft for your weight. So, rather than being due to overly firm springing or damping, the jarring you feel on bumpy roads might be caused by your forks bottoming out and hitting the bump stops. The tie-wrap trick will tell you if that's the case. Öhlins springs are available from 6.5 - 11N/mm (part numbers are 04744-65 to 04744-11 - the last two digits are the spring rate).

Also, although the 1100S forks are quite softly sprung, the rear shock, in contrast, is overly firm at 130N/mm. For reference, the aftermarket Öhlins shock comes with a 115N/mm spring as standard and I replaced that with a softer 105N/mm spring, which is perfect for my 12 stone. Sometimes, an overly harsh rear spring will affect the feeling of the front end.

There's also the option to experiment with the weight and quantity of oil, if you still can't get the feel you want. Standard oil is 7.5w with a 140mm airgap without spring and sleeve. (My preference is 5w.)
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote