View Single Post
Old 16-08-2023, 03:10 PM   #108
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
Can you please explain? I don't have SS on the mounts but thought / assumed these would be ok...
What you have is a standard early Monster yoke with 25mm offset.
The offset is the distance between a line drawn through the centres of the fork leg holes and the centre of the stem hole.
In other words the fork legs will be 25mm in front of the steering stem (centres).

The later SS has 30mm offset so can't be used with early Monster bottom yokes and indeed shouldn't even be used as a pair as the different offset will upset the geometry.

Later Monsters were changed to 30mm offset with the introduction of the "ST" frame, whereupon they became interchangeable with SS yokes.

I think I'm right in saying the early SS had 30mm offset too?

No problem with stainless caliper halves bolts, but the kits usually have standard cap heads instead of the original low heads. Only trouble with stainless low heads is the increased likelihood of chewing the Allen socket out getting it up to the required torque.
I had this problem with button head stainless disc bolts which had insufficient socket depth and would not take the correct torque. Best cure is to use steel or Titanium bolts.

I always use Ti these days anyway, especially on un-sprung parts.

RSR Moto are purveyors of fine Titanium bolts and also carbon fibre parts.
They will be advertising on here in 2024.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 16-08-2023 at 03:14 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote