View Single Post
Old 29-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #23
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm about to re-string my Watkins Rapier, so I can send you the old strings if you have the need? Three bottom strings are wire wound.

The hinges go on the spot welds and leak beneath the plate that the hinge is (spot) welded to. The best solution is to braze all around the periphery of the plate. It's a bit tight at the very rear, so you sometimes have to do a little careful grinding to access the rear edge of the plate. It doesn't usually damage any visible paint as it will be covered by the saddle. (Remove the pump to do this.)

That will almost certainly burn off the sealer locally inside the hinge area. Any loose stuff elsewhere can be worried off by shaking the tank with nuts and bolts or stones in it.. Clean and count whatever you put in so you can count it out.

You might be able to tackle the rust in your spare tank by filling it with White vinegar or a solution of in water. Leave it for about a week and thoroughly rinse out. Cluct and brake cleaner makes a good final rinse as it is hygroscopic, so fetches out any residual water too.