View Single Post
Old 29-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I'm glad you've got it sorted now. It's always the simple little things that get overlooked.
Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I'm assuming that Moto Rapido unblocked the drain pipe as part of the procedure?
If not guitar strings are good for poking right down the internal metal pipes and rodding them out. Thick wire wound strings are best, but sometimes you have to start with thinnish strings until you can get one right through.
Huh, I was wondering how best to do that. Pity I haven't had any guitar strings around for 40 years or so now...

Moto Rapido would certainly have done the drain, if it weren't for the fact that they also alerted me to some sort of painted liner inside the tank lifting/bubbling very alarmingly. It also seeps by the tank hinge.

So they pretty much just advised "replacement tank required" and asked what I wanted to do - helpfully confirming that the tank can still be ordered from Ducati for an amount that had me actually larfing out loud, as opposed to typing "LOL" on the computer.

Unfortunately, I just figured out earlier that the very pretty (repainted) S4 tank I bought on Flea Bay, described as "excellent" condition looks pretty disappointing inside... Rust bits falling out, strange looking crunchy rust garden formations everywhere... So that's kind of a PITA, because certainly not the "swap the tank/hardware over" job I was expecting.

The fuel tipped out of my tank was very odd-looking, almost milky. With a appreciable amount of water and a lot of dirt settling out of it. I think MR probably just drained the tank and put some back, omitting most/much of the water... Amazingly, bike runs better than it ever has - even on that junk. So seems certain it had water in it all along...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote