View Single Post
Old 26-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #64
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
A quick note on headlight adjustment ...

I came across this when I was fitting a pair of carbon headlamp brackets (kindly donated by Capo .. thanks mate).
Anyway, the headlamp shell has these star-faced washer thingies which attempt to provide some grip on the headlight brackets.
You can see them in this pic of Gazza's bike.

Since the ally brackets are relatively soft, tightening the bolts up causes a star-shaped indentation in them .. as shown in this pic ...

I was wary of allowing this situation with the carbon brackets, lest they should become damaged, so I made up some new, flat, rubbery friction washers to go in the gap.
But the point is, these little indentations in the std ally brackets will provide a kind of "detent" arrangement which constantly guides the headlight into a fixed position rather than allowing fine adjustment between the indentations.
Since adjustment seems critical in getting the best out of a less than perfect headlight, its probably worth doing the same "friction washer" mod, even with std ally brackets.
Mine has been good for a couple of years with the new set-up.
And I have been able to successfully fine tune the headlight adjustment in recent months until the std lamp (with uprated Philips Extreme bulb) is almost acceptable.
Its still not brilliant obviously, but it definitely made a difference.
I used a thin sheet of rubber-impregnated fabric, which gave just enough flex without being too squidgy (technical term).
Thought it worth a mention.

Last edited by utopia; 26-01-2017 at 02:54 PM..
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote