View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
nealenet

Hi Ricky
Thanks for your welcome. I agonised for ages over the choice between the Monster and the speed tripple. I think the Triumph has a wonderfull engine and does look much better in the flesh than in pictures. I really like the riding position too. I guess I will give the monster a year to grow on me and let the selection of used triumphs build up so prices soften. I still would be tempted.
One reason I still love the Monster is that because the styling was so "right" to start with, Ducati have wisely left it largly alone. So even an early Monster still looks cool. whereas if Triumph have fundamentally altered the whole bike style of the speed triple from the original cafe racer version. This means that owners feel they have "the old one" whenever a new model is released and it also slashes their residual values. I know manufactures have to turn riders on to their brand with new models but it does lead to people feeling that they can't keep up. BMW deliberatly keep their model changes to a minimum and their prices high to keep riders loyal. just look at the price of a used 1200GS, not a lot less than new.
The Monster has become a classic and I think will look good in 30 years time, classic design dates slower than the latest trick kit. Just look at the poularity of Triumphs range of classic rip offs. There is a French bike builder that shows just how sexy a Triumph can be and when I get the Lotto jackpot one of these will be in my garage. Follow this link
http://www.mecatwin.com/en/motos/triumph/tss/index.htm

Sorry to waffle on, a couple of glasses of red loosens the toungue.

Simon