View Single Post
Old 26-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #29
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza
Looking beyond DOC.
The way I see it, we need an officer to ensure that the forum is sponsored from advertising.
An officer who is capable of maintaining the IT aspect of the forum to ensure it runs at least as well as it does currently.
A figurehead for the club, but not necessarily called President nor necessarily regarded as in charge of anything, just making sure that everything is running smoothly and calling elections for new officers when they are due.
I'm sure a new constitution will soon evolve with as easy going a feel that reflects the way UKMOC already feels.
We’ve so far avoided excessive formality in favour of a kind of benevolent autocracy, along with (mostly) light touch moderation, to keep the forum friendly and conflict free. Remember the forum started as two guys running an email list until it got too big to manage that way, Can you imagine trying to email your Norfolk group if you had over a hundred people on it?
I've tried hard to 'keep things the way they were', clearly that's now backfiring. I could never have managed commitees, written constitutions, big finance etc. and feel they'll be the death of the easy-going club and forum anyway.

I think you'd want at least 2 IT people going forward, in case something untoward happened to one of them.

The other downside of not keeping it all free is that as soon as annual turnover hits £2000, you need to register as a charity with HMRC etc etc.
Bear in mind that other forums might be a big commercial IT hosting company posing as several little bike forums, you'll find an implausibly similar but 'skinned' format for other makes and models? You pay up or you see an awful lot of inline advertising!

Good luck calling elections... I've lost well two hours to this thread already this morning but not seen any interest in taking the reigns from anyone :-(

Last edited by slob; 26-05-2022 at 09:47 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote