Thread: Tdc?
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #22
Joshua Brew

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
reuse the collets (unless you find broken ones, which you’ll want to replace)
you want to refit them the same way up as before. You’ll be able to see they’re polished/worn on the inner edge/up from contact with the valve stem and outer edge/down from contact with the shim.
I’d advise using a bit of workshop towel or similar to cover the oil galleries, to prevent any collets disappearing downwards as you’re taking them out. I use a telescopic magnet tool to pick them out, to avoid this happening.
I also use a very small hammer and an aluminium (soft enough not to risk mushrooming the valve tops) drift, to tap the top of the valves once they’re back in to make sure they’re properly seated.
thanks thats great advice!
also would you say its possible to do the job with the airbox and things still on the bike? i have the battery and oil cooler out of the way. and do you use forceps to hold the valve up? do you wedge something in the side of the aperture to keep the closing rocker down or just push it down with a screwdriver as and when you need to?
when i slide the opening rocker over the cam is free to spin, will the rocker only slide back on to the cam in the correct position?

Last edited by Joshua Brew; 30-04-2020 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Joshua Brew is offline   Reply With Quote