View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #114
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Preparing to set off again from the Ponderosa, I thumbed Stella's starter button but got no response.
Well, it had been about a year since the last time the solenoid connection had worked loose and I suppose it was about time.
A quick bump in the carpark and (luckily) she fired up at the first attempt .. and I poked the connector back fully home with a stick next time we stopped.

But the real luck was lurking out of sight all weekend.
This was something of a test run for the new exhaust and I suspected that it may cause the motor to run a bit lean.
I usually get around 150 miles before the light comes on, so for the return journey back home on monday I decided to run it down to the light before refuelling.
The trip meter was showing high 160s when I pulled onto the drive .. and no fuel light.
After washing the bike, I nipped out for a run around my fave local backroads, to dry the brake pads and to see when the fuel light finally did come on.
I got carried away and the trip reached nearly 180 miles when I decided I'd best head back home to investigate further, arriving back with 193 miles indicated and still no orange light.
Yep, you've probably guessed .. the fuel light wasn't working.
My own fault .. I'd had the tank on and off a few times recently and had failed to reconnect the gauge the last time.
Tank had about an eggcup-full left in it and calculations suggested that, at previous fuel consumption rates, a brimmed tank should do 190 miles to bone dry ... and I hadn't quite brimmed it.
So my weekender ended with me being extremely lucky not to have to push to the nearest garage ... which was miles away at a place that isn't called Houghton on the Hill for nothing.

I wonder how long this luck thing will continue.

ps. The above was written yesterday, before I heard the news about Buzzbomb.
It now seems kinda inappropriate to be posting a humourous story about good luck and so I held back.
But Geoff wouldn't have wanted that, I'm sure.
And anyway, we were all lucky to have known him and shared his company.

Last edited by utopia; 08-05-2019 at 01:02 PM..
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote