View Single Post
Old 29-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
Stephenniall

I'll have to take the carbs back off and have a look at them more thoroughly. Thanks for the advice.

You can buy proper dry guide coat, but a cheap can on matt black aerosol dusted over your primer is easier and cheaper, it allows you to see where you've flatted, and also shows you if there are any low spots left in the tank.

My compressor is a 50Litre 18CFM clarke one, attached to a 150L auxiliary tank. The more air the better. The only reason I had issues with my primer gun is the air hose I had was too small diameter (you want at least 10mm ideally) plus it was a Satajet 100B which uses about 16 CFM anyway. I prefer my Sata guns, but use my devilbiss guns at home as they are easier on the compressor.

You can put your decals over the basecoat provided it has had enough time to dry properly, however even if I was doing it that way I would still block the paintwork and re-lacquer as you will get a better shine and there will be more clearcoat on the tank to flat and Polish back to. I prefer to add the decals after lacquering it first incase anything goes wrong in the lacquer stage, as if it does you'll end up having to sand right back and replace the expensive decals.

The paint is all in the prep work, get your repairs done nicely and primer flatted correctly and it should come out look great.