View Single Post
Old 29-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #9
RossObey01

I've got a tank, cowl and mudguard that can keep you busy!

Okay so overflowing carbs, I had a little saga in this not too long ago where by carbs were leaking through the drain tubes, even with the engine off (and in theory, the fuel cut-off closed).

If you're sure the leak is from there rather than the gaskets then the first thing to check is that your flat bowls aren't cracked where the drain screw goes in. If it is, obviously, even with the screw nipped up it will still leak.

If that's all fine, you need to start looking inside the carbs. The drain hole also double up as a leak off for when the carbs are overflowing, regardless of drain screw position. This was my problem.

So assuming the carbs are overflowing, the main causes are either wrong float height which is very easily measured but also unlikely to have changed if the bike's been running fine previously. Whilst you're doing that check for damaged floats, if they have any fuel in the floats, obviously they ain't gonna float! You mentioned you cleaned the carbs, I also did this, but in the process managed to push some grit into the seat above the float valve, this meant even with the floats fully up there was still fuel able to squeeze through the valve and cause the carbs to overflow.

When you stripped them down, how far did you go? When I whipped the carbs apart on mine, I also removed the float seat/workings with a small o-ring where it goes into the carb body. This was also shredded, so even when I had cleaned the valve seat and put it all back together, to much annoyance, they still leaked. So make sure those o-rings are in good nick too.

If none of that works, I have no idea!