View Single Post
Old 17-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #21
CarloL

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Generally speaking, all Ducatis are said to be a little "clunky at low revs".
Its true to a certain extent, but while it bothers some folk, others accept it as a necessary feature of the kind of motor they prefer.
Its probably also true to say as a generalisation that the bigger the motor and the cruder the fuelling, the more clunky it will be.
So your carby 900 is probably one of the more "clunky".
My carby 750 probably comes fairly close behind, but the smaller "bangs" reduce the effect .. and that's one of the reasons I chose it.

In my opinion, and from experience of my 750, a Ducati needs a good clutch and you need to use it, particularly for slow turns at road junctions etc.
My technique is to throttle off as I slow into the turn but if the turn is slow enough to be getting into "clunky" territory, I never open the throttle again without first momentarily dipping the clutch, for just an instant, and then immediately taking up the drive via throttle and clutch combined. .. if that makes any sense.
This significantly reduces the chain snatch and clunkiness.

I reckon you do need a silky clutch though.
Your bike has a dry clutch and I notice that it still has the std closed cover.
That's fine, but I wonder if there is a bit of a build up of dust in there, causing a less than silky operation.
Just a thought.

Other things which can exacerbate the clunky tendency are badly adjusted or imbalanced carbs, badly adjusted or worn chain and even poorly positioned controls.

But I wouldn't rush to do anything to the bike because you'll get to know its character and how best to deal with it much better after a few more miles, and you might find that the problem goes away.
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for! I am only on a bike(learning to ride) a couple of weeks , just trying to gauge if it is my inability :P I was under the impression carbs and dry clutch might be a factor

I have removed the cover for an open clutch cover for an open cover, the slave cylinder was leaking , the seal was replaced, I have ordered a braided clutch line might help a little with feel/control ; I find starting out I can get the sweet spot at low revs, clutch biting point is consistent ; not too sure if it is me over concentrating trying to be as precise as possible but after a 40 KM I find the clunkiness returns , gets a bit frustrating as what I was doing is not netting the same results as before

Bit more practice

Quote:
is to throttle off as I slow into the turn but if the turn is slow enough to be getting into "clunky" territory, I never open the throttle again without first momentarily dipping the clutch, for just an instant, and then immediately taking up the drive via throttle and clutch combined
I was messing with this technique last nite! Was not too sure if it was a best practice technique or something I was doing in ignorance to get her around the corner

In terms of carbs , she seems to get a bit disgruntled, after 40KM of start/stop traffic ; bike can get hesitant , she is not too sure if you want to pin it ; I presume the carbs are over fueling with all the stop/start action; maybe a technique for a carbed bike in traffic or just a characteristic?

thanks again for the detailed response
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote