View Single Post
Old 22-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
What Jez said about pictures... We love them.

Regarding the RR. Unfortunately it's a common problem on most bikes fitted with them. The frying syndrome is caused by poor connections in the three, or two yellow cables coming up from the alternator to the RR.
These cables demand a low resistance route all the way through or heat builds up, which kills the RR and often melts the cables too.

Make sure your yellow cables are not melted or degraded in any way, then make the best connections to the new RR that you can. Some folks hard wire them, others use superseal connectors. I use soldered on Gold bullet connectors available from model shops for radio controlled electric models, which I then protect with heatshrink.

I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions for the best way to achieve a proper weather proof low resistance connection.. Take your pick but don't skimp on it.
Aye, I've had this problem before - I can't remember if it was my first M900 or the GSXR600K1 that came before it. Whichever it was, the shop put me on to the Shendengen unit as a replacement, which is what I intend to do long term but for now just need a replacement to get her going again (though I will be getting a hold of a multimeter and following Kato's excellent troubleshooting instructions).

Ducati Glasgow said it's either the generator or the RR but they can't tell if it's the generator if the RR is also fried, which now seems odd to me after seeing Kato's post (and the glowing reviews most people give to Ducati Glasgow), but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go back for any other work I can't feasibly do myself (it helps that they're a very short walk from work).

Another part of the reason for leaving the final solution is that I'm fairly sure the starter circuit is exhibiting its common problem as well and needs a cable upgrade (possibly the terminals on the starter motor need replacing too, but I have yet to give it a good look). At the moment it's a lottery as to whether or not she'll crank when you press the button...

So my intention is to get the cash together over the part of the winter where I'm riding less and sort out the RR & Starter together.
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote