View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 06:08 AM   #1011
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I missed a couple days in the garage collecting/buying essential stuff and then taking number one son to University. I couldn’t face garage clearance which does not seem like proper progress so yesterday and the day before was spent on a) a fourth pour of resin into the tank, b) painting the seat base and the rear light cluster (satin black) and c) putting together the rear light wiring harness.
The wires from the LED lights are minute, less than 1mm OD with insulation, there are 14 wires that have to be spliced to fit into a 5 way AMP connector. Getting the crimps to bite on such small wires was problematic so they had to be soldered and I had to remember to put heat shrink sleeve around the incoming wires so that the little yellow seals had something large enough to work on. I needed 3 or 4 hands and it was a fiddly and frustrating few hours. This was made a lot worse when I realised I had spent 3 hours making a female connection when I should have been making a male to marry with the main loom. DOH!!!!
I decided that it would be easier to solder and join the tiny wires to 5 x 1mm wires to go into the AMP connector and this was much easier and only took an hour or so to complete.
I also managed to cover the seat hump pad with ambla and fit the Dzuz fastener which turned out OK. The 12mm closed cell rubber foam was cut with scissors which, however careful you are, leaves a ragged edge which shows when the ambla is laid over the top. The edges of the foam were accordingly smoothed out with a drum sander on a battery drill. The rubber foam was then glued to the CF base with Evo Stik and the ambla laid over the top with only the edges glued to the back side of the CF. If you glue the ambla to the foam it is very easy to get bobbles of adhesive that show through. Also the ambla needs to be stretched over the foam and if glued you end up with creases because you only get one shot at laying the ambla on the foam with contact adhesive. Pictures to follow.
Pleasingly the fourth resin pour proved to be worthwhile as when I picked up the tank it was adhered to the towel that it was resting on - proving that the resin had found a potential leak from the seam and hopefully caulked it.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote