View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #1010
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
There was a slight setback today, I had intended to start pouring the ethanol resistant resin into the tank to seal it from the inside. I worked out that with the shape of the junction between the top and the bottom I will need 6 separate pours, I will position the tank so the part to be sealed is the lowest point and simply pour the mixture through the filler neck wait for that to cure and move to the next section.
Unfortunately I had forgotten that I had not finished smoothing down the JB water weld I used to bond the two halves together. After about an hour with 180 grit I had done about 150mm (total circumference about 1500mm), the stuff is very hard and does not readily “feather edge” like filler does. I eventually resorted to a half round file and made much better progress.

On one 100mm section the file kept clogging and I found that in that section the JB weld was still soft. Obviously I had not thoroughly mixed it before applying it. This had to be dug out with an electrical screwdriver and unfortunately most of the detritus ended up inside the tank. This section (middle of the right hand side) was repaired and the first pour of the ethanol resistant resin was undertaken (headstock area).

The number plate /rear light structure was filled and rubbed down and a small fillet of CF was added to stiffen it slightly (using the scrapings from the pot of the ethanol resistant resin). This will be ready for primer tomorrow as will the seat base.

The rest of the day was simply starting to tidy the garage, 90% of my CF work is now complete and there is CF and filler dust everywhere and this needs to be gone before the engine gets opened up.

Trouble is I am a dreadful hoarder and in moving things to sweep up I discovered an old 2.5 tonne trolley jack that was seized through being left in a damp shed at my father’s house (he died in 2003) and I have been tripping over it ever since. Every time I notice it (stub my toe on it) I give it a squirt of penetrating oil and give it a try to see if it has freed off. This was its last chance, one last squirt and a scaffold pole over the jacking tube, if no go then out the front for the scrap metal man. It freed off and once the corroded pin had been cleaned up it worked nearly as good as new – result. There is a lot of hours yet to get the garage first tidy then clean and I will probably come across about 20 other “projects” before I get a semblance of order.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote