Thread: Royal Purple?
View Single Post
Old 13-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thank you for a considered reply Jeff.
We think along very similar lines. I sat in the shed this afternoon and thought I might as well stick with the Castrol Power 1 as I have done for so long. In fact your comment about "Lubricant formerly known as Royal Purple" would be enough to make me boycott it completely.
I too have drained the oil cooler on occasion, but mostly can't be arsed. I do worry about the moments on first start up when the cooler is filling and not passing oil to the mains.

I think given the total lack of any wear problems in my engine, that I will just stick to the same oil.. And you have reinforced that view.

Comstock's tests were probably not relevant to a more modern engine anyway, but they did highlight some good and bad oils to use in Commando engines and for that matter many old twins.

I looked up Morris Golden film and noted that it is for "classic" engines with no filtration system and so is a very low detergent oil. My Commando is newly rebuilt and has a full flow cartridge filter, so I will going for high detergent from the start.

On another subject I have mailed Morris about their EP 80w90 for use in the AMC gearbox. There is a belief that sulphur in EP oils destroy "Yellow metals" which are very common in the AMC, and lots of other old British gearboxes. I bought the oil a long time ago before hearing the Sulphur/EP oil story, so I want to know if I can use it in my expensively restored gearbox... I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the comments.