Thread: Tyre life
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well there you have it, 'cos bloke on YouTube said so.

Reasonable arguments presented but then uses 7 year properly stored tyres, which doesn't reflect the state of a 7 year old used tyre.
He does go on to point out the difference but doesn't put any figures on it, so I reckon we're back to square one?

I personally don't have any bother wearing out tyres in much less than 5 years, and always make sure I buy recent date stamps.
The problem comes when buying a second hand bike. Usually they are described as "having plenty of tread" or "3000 miles left in them" and so on.
When asked for the date stamps they are frequently from way back and could have been stored in any manner of horrendous conditions.

I recently looked at an ST2 with "plenty of tread left". My lovely little LED inspection lamp revealed date stamps nine years old! (and a floppy horrid chain among other things!)
It's a good excuse to roll my eyes and tut to get the price down a bit, but I would change them anyway. You have to trust the seller to give you the date stamps if you're buying on the internet and it's it's not always negotiable anyway.. You pays yer money...

What YouTube guy doesn't tell you is that the elements that give you good wet grip are the perishable ones (silicates It think?).

I'll stick with my own 5 year rule.