View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #30
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
No I have not done anything , to the pickups ,, i think I may buy one or 2 just for ,,er peace of mind or desperation ha ha ,,I am borrowing a strobe from a mate to see if its out of synch ???? I also have a colortune ,, but they can be awkward to understand what one is seeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPuxley View Post
OK, Jerry, some progress this morning I think or confirmation of something I had found already
Agree, I dont think its the carb.
This morning I borrowed a Gunsons colourtune.
When used on the vertical cylinder I get a good colour at idle, but as soon as I raise the revs the spark stops (no colour)
This confirms exactly what I get when I try to use the strobe on the vertical cylinder- the strobe stops working above idle.
So it is definitely a breakdown that is causing no spark at anything above idle........but why????
Ive swopped coils and leads and ignition units between the cylinders and the fault remains always on the vertical.
By a process of elimination that leaves the only unchanged things, the Pick up coils and the low tension wiring to the coils and ignition units. BTW my coils and pick ups test fine for resistance, like yours.
So despite being told its unlikely to be the pick up coils ("They either work or they dont"), I think thats where Ive got to go next.
But, Jerry have you done anything with your pick up coils that would scotch this idea?