View Single Post
Old 25-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #13
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post
Ah yes, my clutch’s star-shaped thrust washer has indeed somehow “sunk” into the hub, so that at first I thought it was missing. Presumably this is the effect of a steel washer being tightened at 186 Nm (aka “EFT”) onto an alloy centre. Now I understand what was meant by it having “worn and moved outwards”, many thanks for the explanation! Time for a new centre and thrust washer...
I'm glad to say that a new clutch centre and thrust washer resulted in the correct clearance to enable me to fit the complete set of new clutch plates. The thrust washer now sits about 2mm above the centre, which restored that amount of clearance for the final clutch plate.

I was warned that the new centre can be difficult to fit onto the cush-drive hub due to the 12 rubber pads, so between each pair of pads I first inserted a short rubber strip to hold the pads apart, then easily pushed the new centre on just by hand, then pulled the 6 spacers out via the centre hole. It was no problem, and also there is no detectable slack in the cush-drive.

Clutch action is greatly improved on the road, and the complete new clutch is slightly less rattly on tick-over.....