View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I don't use any dished plates at all as I see no benefit to having a plate that only gives partial surface contact with the adjacent frictions? and I've never had any problem in doing so.
I don't think the dished plate is actually dished when it is compressed by the springs.

I had my brand new EVR pack, complete with requested dished plate, between fingers and thumbs, I could easily squash the dished plate flat with finger pressure alone. I imagine the combined force of the clutch springs is far greater than I can exert with my hands.

I had the pack out this afternoon as it happens, I gave it it's annual little wipe over and check. All the plain plates had a "print" of the friction pads on each side including the dished plate, which could only have happened if the plate was squashed flat. There was no evidence of the dished plate having worn the friction pads with it's raised edge.
So I don't think it does have partial contact with the adjacent plates at all, rather that it has full contact until spring pressure is released by operating the clutch.

For the pedantic and observant; the plain pates that run as a pair together were not "printed" by the friction plates on their meeting faces as they don't contact them, nor do they rotate relative to one another. Same for the outer face meeting the pressure plate.

Further, as I can be a pedant, why do we insist on calling them friction plates when they operate by the principle of stiction? Friction is undesirable in a clutch!