View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #39
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Apologies not necessary - it is in "Random Chat" so perfectly permissible to wander off a bit.
Back on topic - got the front forks stripped down so I can send the legs away for re-chroming. I have noticed working on this bike a number of interesting differences from the way other manufacturers put bikes together -
1. all fasteners are sized to take into account weight e.g. twistgrip clamp screws are 4mm instead of 5 or 6mm, kickstart clamp bolt and rear sprocket retaining bolts are 7mm instead of 8mm, chainguard retention bolts 5mm instead of 6mm.
2. the steering stem has no nut underneath the top yoke to adjust the headrace bearings but rather relies on the top nut above the top yoke to tighten the bearings
3. the chrome fork legs run directly in the aluminium sliders, not a great design in my opinion as when the aluminium wears the fork sliders are scrap

Doubtless, there will be more to discover when I dismantle the engine, I already know about the flat cylinder heads and vertical valves with the combustion chambers in the pistons
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote