View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #27
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Small update on progress with the bambino.
Got the swinging arm out relatively easily and fortunately, I think the play I found in the SA bearings was excessive side float rather than wear in the bushes. The bushes are sintered steel running on the 20mm through frame SA shaft. The shaft has no more than witness marks to show where the bushes run on it. The SA was stripped back to bare metal and treated to some phosphoric acid (1970s Italian steel has rust in it already) and has now been etched primed and grey undercoated.

The rear wheel sprocket carrier required a new oil seal and a couple of new bearings as one had obviously suffered ingress of water and corrosion. Good old Simply Bearings delivered within 24 hours 2 new bearings and a new seal for less than £14 which were put in the freezer for 24 hours and are now fitted.

Interestingly the sprocket retaining bolts (and the kick starter clamp bolt) are 7mm which means I will nickel plate them rather than replacing with SS as I do not think I will get any SS 7mm hex head bolts easily.

The end of the rear wheel spindle had obviously been down the road at some point in the bike's life so I popped it in the lathe to clean the gouges off and inspired by Allem Millyard's Hailwood tribute Honda 6 I machined a bit of weight off at the same time.

rudolph desktop background
Link to spindle mod inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFOKwcNLMc
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote