View Single Post
Old 15-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #5
Tim88

Bike: M1100evo
As Luddite describes, a sure sign of poor or no starting due to failing battery is the low voltage issue causing the dash to go crazy and display that message that scrolls by too fast to read and looks like a collection of random characters! My 696 very rarely did this, I guess the battery was not too bad, but my evo was a terror for this during the last year or two of the Yuasa and the last year of the subsequent Motobatt. I always got tricked by the battery measuring ok only to have the voltage dip issue on heavy discharge. The dash shutting down and forgetting my traction control settings also worried me greatly until I learned on this forum that it was designed to do this. Trying lithium now to sidestep the problem, so far with success, but your 696 is easier on the starter and a regular agm battery should be fine for two or three years. New batteries are not as good as they used to be in my opinion (based on rather limited real evidence though!) I still have the two lead acids and keep them trickle charged so they were not dead when I changed them but neither will be going back on a bike. If not a battery problem then the plot thickens and who knows where it might lead!
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote