View Single Post
Old 24-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #50
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Thanks for that Flip. Reference spares to carry, what I was thinking was, for instance, when I had a 916 I carried a voltage regulator if I went anywhere as they were prone to failure.
I'm not aware of any inherent problems with the Evo that are likely to leave you stranded. You certainly don't hear of the frequent regulator failures that troubled the early Monsters. The mounting position of the 696/797/1100 regulators is better than the first generation Monsters as it's out in the breeze inside the right-hand air duct so the unit probably has an easier life than on the early models. I certainly wouldn't bother carrying a spare.

The only time I've needed to be recovered was when my injection relay, (situated under the tank), worked it's way loose and no longer made proper contact. All it needed was to be pushed fully home. A cable tie over the top and under the socket stops it coming loose again. If you're planning a long trip, you might want to lift the tank, check your relays are secure and cable tie them in as a precaution.

Because you can't just hinge up the tank as you could with the early Monsters, the only 'extras' I'd suggest you take with you are the allen keys and 8mm spanner you need to lift the tank - with those, you'll be able to access the battery, relays and ECU if necessary.

Oh, and when I used to tour, I carried one of these 2l plastic fuel cans https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike...-/121631698343

It doesn't take up much room and gives you a 20-25 miles safety net.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote