Thread: New Monster
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #113
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
All the ‘traditionalists’ whinged about Pani’s at first, hating no trellis, camchain instead of belts...
How many times has that happened?

696 monster - no one liked it initially but it sold well
821/1200 monster - as above
749/999, slated but now considered an appreciating model range
1sr Gen Multistrada- everyone hated it (lots still do...) but again it’s a bike than is being appreciated, they’re actually pretty good if you can get over the looks. Again, it sold well
Hypermotard got a bit of stick for the beak, but guess what, they did ok and became a key model
Sport Classic range, everybody at the time said why? Trying buying a decent one now under £8-10k...
As you said, the Panigale range wasn’t exactly well received
V4 engines were derided as “not Ducati” looks like it’s pretty good to me
New SF - got flak for wings etc, sold bloody well
Diaval range, same thing. The new Lambo version was slated for its colour scheme, all 600+ odd bikes sold in two days.

This new monster isn’t aimed at the traditional monster owner, they don’t buy new bikes every couple of years, they keep and love what they have. Without new buyers Ducati would fail quickly, same as everyone else in the industry especially the smaller manufacturers.

I like the specs on new bike, looking forward to having a spin on one when possible. As for the looks, I’ll reserve judgement until I see one for real and well you can’t see most of it when you’re riding it, which, after all is what a motorcycle is all about.

Ped