View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I did similar to several of the listed options, my findings;

1. I fitted ST2 cams which are similar to 900ie cams and they fit fine but my understanding is that you really need short intake manifolds to benefit? (I have FCR 41 but they are split-singles on short intakes).

2. Light flywheel makes it pick up quicker - I like it, down side is that it is more prone to stalling when cold.

3. 944cc, well there's no replacement for displacement but be careful with your choice of piston rings as the wrong ones can cause big problems.

4. I have a larger 'V' shaped oil cooler which can certainly keep it cool, in fact too cool a lot of the time so I've blanked most of the frontal area off which helps when on the move and the size of the rad helps when stationary - I did try 2 coolers initially but didn't like the setup and felt it unnecessary plus, I prefer the top one gone to get more cooling air into the rear cylinder fins.

5. I used a 1000DS oil pump as I wanted greater oil flow, especially to the heads (fitted direct oil lines to the camshaft end caps) and to aid in cooling. The DS pump flows more than an old M900 pump (it looks more 'gas-flowed' inside) but it's not a a straight fit as the drive gear is different (easily solved by swapping gears from the Monster pump) and, more importantly the oil intake port is bigger - so much bigger that it doesn't fit to the engine as it is wider than the feed hole and the 'O' ring so I had to machine a reducing bush into fit the pump body which undoubtedly reduces the flow a little, although it still flows more than my (old) Monster pump did. I don't know if a 999RS pump has similar problems but guess it probably does?

6. Ally clutch - definitely a worthwhile upgrade as it reduces the weight hugely, especially if you also fit a billet ally clutch hub (no cush drives) at the same time (see light flywheel for benefits) and I've not noticed the wear to be much, if any worse than an all steel setup?

7. In a previous life...

8. I had my heads gasflowed by CJS Racing, also fitted an Ignitech ignition system which is programmable (useful for power increasing mods) along with a TPS on the carbs for better syncing of timing etc. and a MADASL spaghetti exhaust which all help pep it up a bit.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote