View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #34
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
Caswell, done correctly, works really well. Too much work for most - which is why we still encounter swollen tanks. The instructions are posted as a tutorial on DucatiMonsteForum.org http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=64897.0

First "fix" was the US law suit on behalf of 50,000 affected owners. New tanks a couple of years and then a hinge+new seat kit. After 5 years (or so) no more help from Ducati.

Second fix was the 696 style black plastic tank, covered with panels. It expanded, but didn't become as problematic as on S*R bikes. Third fix was the same tank, but now in a material not affected by the water. Not introduced in the US because it wasn't 100% fuel proof and this 'leakage' was unacceptable for the US govt.

Next on the forum agendas will be rusted steel tanks. As it was 20 years ago.

... and so on
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien666 View Post
With the holes elongated to the max, yes it’s still very tight at the ignition shroud.
The ally tank is still in it’s box. A combination of just seeing how long original tank will last and finding a self etching clear which i have the confidence to do it’s job over the bare metal.
Interesting to know there was a hinge and seat kit....if I knew what exactly that consisted of I reckon I could get it copied...

I also can't help wondering what would happen if I took my bike into an official Ducati dealers for some service work or something and they couldn't clamp the tank down?Can't imagine that they would change the tank after all these years.....hmnnnn...might have to do some further investigation.

All the best

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote