View Single Post
Old 25-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
wrong on two counts:
UK politicians are no different ;-) it was an agreement between manufacturers unless I’m mistaken.
The battery on Monsters is too small to start a big twin, for cosmetic/space reasons, no amount of ‘better wiring’ is going to fix that.

Yea, it may well have been, I don't know. I know Triumph had tril it on some of their bikes which did I believe cause some starting issue. but from 2011 it is now law under European Directive 76/656/EEC

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...running-lights

I don't think it is the battery that is too small, that's would indicate a storage issue which the current size of battery is fine if sufficiently charged and will be adequate enough but that's another well documented reg/rec issue altogether.

It is my understanding that the battery wiring gauge is too small. Many have reported improved starting by either bi-wiring or installing better quality battery cables. You can put as big a battery as you could but the amount of current flowing through to the starter is limited by the wiring, if the battery is that much too big then the wiring will probably break down or melt if the current can flow but the issue is that it can't. As any owner of any late 90's Ducati will tell you they know of Ducati expertise with wiring which is why much of it is underrated for its intended use and will burn out and melt given any chance of flowing sufficient current. Sorry for the highjack, rant over, back to our scheduled programming!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote