View Single Post
Old 29-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Boiling battery, spitting out acid?

I suspect the battery on my bike is boiling - or something along those lines, as it tends to discharge a small amount of acid out the drain pipe after each ride. Today after particularly spirited ride bedding in brakes and enjoying a better state of carb tune, I also noticed a lot of splatters on the alternator cover - with the position of the drain hose it looks like that is where it came from. Oil lines etc don't appear to be leaking, and this seems to set like glue to the cover. There were already some streaks on it when I purchased the bike, wasn't sure what they were and they don't clean off (easily, anyway).

Tbh I've been waiting for an excuse to pull the pin on buying a motobatt anyway, but if the current battery is boiling, is that likely to mean there is something up with the charging circuit? I put a shindengen unit on earlier in the year as the old one was fried, but I thought these were better at protecting against over-charging? The battery is a cheap one so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just faulty/can't handle the load either.

Pic of the side cover to show what I mean - I tried wiping these splatters off but they've "set". The drain hose for the battery is the clear hose cabled tied to the oil line.

FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote