View Single Post
Old 28-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #1224
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Today I spent about 4 hours on the electrics, I am going through every circuit one by one and drawing a circuit diagram for that individual circuit noting the position of the wires within the connectors and the various colours of each wire in that circuit and then testing continuity. Tedious work but I did find a bad AMP connection from the LH switch.
My biggest problem is that I really do not know what I am doing, particularly circuits entering or leaving the MU unit as I have no idea how it actually works or the circuit logic within it. For example, there are two poles, in and out, labelled "Horn", using a 9v test probe, battery disconnected and ignition off, I get 5v across these two poles and 9v with the ignition switched on, battery disconnected ????
I think my estimated time for completing the wiring is looking decidedly dodgy.

Bored with that I spent the next 2 hours machining titanium bar for the gear linkage rod (10mm bar wasted to 8 mm for all but 20 mm at either end, drilled 5mm to take a 6mm thread) and for the rear brake torque arm. This will be made in three pieces, mainly because I did not have any titanium bar 430mm long. I could make it in one piece out of 12 or 15 mm aluminium bar but I do not think it will be as strong as the titanium design I envisage.
At either end will be a 12 mm diameter bar 97mm long drilled both ends 7 mm to take an 8mm thread for the spherical bearing. A 230mm length of 10mm bar has been turned down for 25mm at each end to 8 mm to thread into the 12mm bar. I am still waiting for my LH taps and LH spherical bearings to turn up so I could not complete either the gear linkage rod or the torque arm.

The machining of the titanium did nothing for the grumbling bearing on the lathe so I took that apart. I was hoping to find a worn-out ball race that could be instantly identified and re-newed. What I found was that the drive pulley to the electric motor was without its drive key fitted to the keyed shaft, a bit surprised it worked at all.
When I took the idler pulley off, the one I think was making all the noise, 5 x 3/16 ball bearings closely followed by some springs went pinging in all directions, most of which will never be seen again. Worst the idler pulley rotates on a pair of very thin-walled bronze bushes which are a) imperial sizes and b) obviously specials that I will need the lathe to make.
The bearing supporting the chuck is still good so if I can find some suitable springs and a few 3/16 ball bearings I can reassemble the lathe to make the necessary bushes.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote