View Single Post
Old 20-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #48
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Since stripping & cleaning the carbs, I left the bike at the point of running with just a wee bit of tuning required. Then lockdown was announced and it went back in the shed.

Took it out again a couple of days later for a run to the supermarket only to discover that it wouldn't start - looks like the starter button was stuck in the last time I rode it. The solenoid wasn't clicking, so assumed I'd finally fried it as it's been sticking occasionally. No bother, thought I, as I have already acquired a replacement. I though I'd try a jump start off the car just to be sure, only to discover that the solenoid _does_ click (and a full charge of the bike battery causes it to click as normal, too).

However, the starter does not turn. So I connected jumper leads from the battery to the starter directly and got a definite turn out of it. So the solenoid is (allegedly) working and the starter is (allegedly) working.

Oh well, I've always wanted to do that wiring upgrade, and I am in lockdown after all...

So I've ordered a few bits and pieces: Exact Start cables, starter brushes/terminal, solenoid (already had that), oil, filter, and other sundry materials.

With any luck it'll be starting better than ever.

I've also ordered a replacement spring for the sprag clutch, just in case, but I didn't think about the tools I'd also need for that (torque wrench, flywheel puller, etc), so I'll hang onto the spring until such time as I need to replace it or have the tools and inclination to get in and do it.

On top of the starter circuit upgrade, I've also got some minor side-mods on the go:
- Replaced the mirrors with bar-end type (looking much better without the added height of the mirrors)
- Which also meant I needed a mount for the brake reservoir (and discovered that the mirror mounts are M10 _fine_ pitch, which ACCU don't stock - eBay to the rescue!)
- Replace the PCV system with a K&N crankcase filter (I don't do wheelies so this shouldn't case me any problems)
- Remove the side-pods and re-route the hoses somewhere out of the way of any wind turbulence
- I've already replaced the headlights with a stock unit (w/ Carbonvani bucket), but I need to align it

Once I've got it back together and running again I can fettle the pilot screws & needle clips to hopefully smooth out that part-throttle transition in the middle of the rev range. Of course this will only be on days that I have essentials to purchase from the supermarket
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote