View Single Post
Old 18-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #1029
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I made a start on the front steel bracket for the prongs to locate the fly-screen. Here is the first roughed out version made from some old scrap 1mm sheet steel. Holes need to be drilled where it will be bonded to the CF. There is a fair bit of time and work yet in this before a satisfactory solution materialises.

The big problem I have is I have 3 mounting points, top, front and lower rear, none of which is yet fixed and I have two potential clash areas, the instrument surround and the light bezel, the light bezel, of course, can move in three planes, fore and aft and up and down and rotationally. Logically I should concentrate on the most fixed position first (the top one) and secure that relationship and adjust the others to suit. The lower rear mounting is entirely variable and should never be part of the solution. It will be where it will be.
My nervousness stems from recognising how much work has been invested in the mould/ almost finished article and the thought of irretrievably mis-cutting the bezel hole to get an exact fit because one or other of the mountings are out of alignment leaves me in a dithering paralysis.
Despite the logicality of fixing the top mounting first I think I should consider the purpose of the fly-screen which is largely aesthetic, hiding the underside of the instruments, and being right up front and in your face it is crucial that it’s positioning and the rake of the screen part is just right. A few degrees out and it will be very evidently wrong. Both the top and the bottom mountings will be easy to accommodate any angular changes in the screen rake after the relationship (in 3 dimensions) between the light bezel and the fly-screen has been firmed up. I think it would be almost impossible vice versa as the hole in the front of the fly-screen will be in slightly the wrong place or at the wrong angle.
Sorry for being boring on this but I find that explaining in writing the issues I face enables me to sort out in my own head what is important and hopefully how best to approach a solution. The execution of course is another matter entirely.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote