View Single Post
Old 20-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #566
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Whilst I have not been in the garage much I have still been working on the bike in my mind, planning stuff, looking critically at stuff already done etc – if you are not happy with the way something is turning out much better to sort it out now before it gets to painting stage.
For example, my mold for the CF enclosure, originally designed for the coils (but now housing the Ignitech unit). I made the mold as deep as possible to accommodate the coils long ways so about 100mm deep, coils are now to be located elsewhere just in front of the rear cylinder and just higher than the valve adjustment covers. An enclosure for the Ignitech box only needs to be 70mm deep.
This will permit about 30mm of extra air to the rear cylinder.
If I shorten the original CF mold then the under steering stem mounting for the regulator can fit behind the stem instead of in front of it, provided I use the shorter original regulator /rectifier rather than the MOSFET one.
I had been struggling to work out how to wire the MOSFET anyway and was not sure that a 2 wire alternator would ever work with it. An added bonus is that behind the steering stem is further away from the line of the forks and therefore the potential clash between regulator and front mudguard less likely. I do like my forks as low in the yokes as possible for quicker steering and the originally planned MOSFET position may have compromised this.
Also, if I angle the base of the mold I can attach the regulator to the bottom of it whilst retaining the bearing location at the bottom of the steering stem which would be much better than having the bracket as a forward facing cantilever. So, for not much extra work it is a win – win – win. Trouble is thinking like this means the project gets longer and longer, my estimated hours to complete is still 430
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote