View Single Post
Old 20-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #563
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Been very quiet the last couple of weeks, half term and a severe cold for a few days put paid to any serious garage time.
I ventured out today and could not face the remains of the wiring so I thought I’d progress my cunning plan to limit the impact of turning the steering on the wires into the loom and MUV2 unit.
Picture 1 shows the components namely:
1. a folded 2mm aluminium plate to be attached to the headlamp brackets that sits parallel to the steering head. The 38mm hole permits the connectors to be passed through from the main loom behind the steering head
2. a pivot bolt, some spacer washers, a 6mm x 19mm x 4mm thrust bearing and retaining nut
3. a smaller folded 2mm aluminium plate that is lined with rubber and holds 5 x Amp connectors, nominally in the vertical position
The second picture shows it installed (roughly)
A fork gaiter (for a Chinese pit bike £2.38 the pair) is to be run between the plate and what will be a CF infill panel on the right side of the steering head. All the wires passing round the steering head will be threaded through this fork gaiter. A 6 pole AMP connector just fits through. The connections from the main loom having passed through the gaiter will be approaching the swivel piece vertically from the top. When the steering is turned the loom will hopefully remain static except that the connector carrier will swivel taking about half the travel from the loom. I have hopefully allowed sufficient spare loom on the other side of the swivel piece so that the act of swivelling and the resultant lengthening of any cable runs downstream of the swivel piece can be accommodated within the space behind the fly-screen. The positioning of the swivel piece should prevent any part of the loom being trapped in the lock stops.
There is just enough clearance between the swivel piece and the headlamp shell, although this mark 1 prototype has been rigged up with 5 x 6 pole AMP connectors and the actual requirement dictated by the loom I have made is for 3 x 5 pole and 2 x 4 pole so I am reasonable confident the space is available. It is also mounted low enough to clear the instruments and the CCTV monitor.

350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote