View Single Post
Old 13-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #506
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Could you not just cut off the old connector, complete with two short wire tails, then butt-crimp the whole thing to your new loom ?
A secondary advantage would be that you retain the colour coding on the wires adjacent to the connector.

Incidentally, I have discovered that the best way to butt-join two wires is to use a small butt-crimp and then cover it with glue-lined shrinkwrap.
This avoids soldering (and the associated tendency to fail just next to the solder) and the glue-lined shrinkwrap both seals the joint against moisture and (crucially) gives mechanical support to the joint across the insulation sleeve, not the wire, which guards against subsequent failure
I used to make my own mini butt-crimps by rolling a tube (double layer) of thin copper sheet around a suitable nail, drill etc, but I reckon you can buy small enough ones .. have a look at those sold for fishing tackle.
I like to use a crimp of about the same OD as the insulation on the wire as this give a nice, neat finish with minimum rigidity.
I also try to arrange for the mating strands of wire to mesh with each other inside the crimp, ie the crimp length is the same as the bared connector length on each individual wire.
Glue-lined shrinktube is cut long enough to overlap the insulation by a few mm each side of the crimp.
This system has the advantage over proprietary butt crimps with their own shrinktube that you don't damage the shrinktube when you crimp them up, as its installed afterwards.

The other thing I discovered when re-looming my Dommie is that a heat gun/hairdryer is your best friend .. for softening the wires.
I wouldn't start a wiring job without one now.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote