View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #499
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Spent a good couple of hours in the garage today making a wiring jig out of an old 18mm plywood fitted wardrobe door and some steel tube taken from some broken gym equipment (at 60mm OD same size as the M900 steering head tube) and aluminium cut off the “acquired” redundant road sign. Seems like quite a lot of work to do something I could just do on the bike, but I have 3 reasons for taking the time to do this:
a) wiring is one of those fiddly jobs which requires a calm measured approach. I am not good at it and the terminated wire is either, a tad too short or just not too long to warrant shortening it, my results always look amateur it is never just right. I lack the patience for it so I can only take it in one or two hour stretches, if I did it on the bike that would be all I could do because the paraphernalia would be all over the bike/bench and getting in the way of whatever else I wanted to do;
b) I can move the loom jig to inside the house lay it out on the floor in the spare room with enough space around and work on it when insomnia strikes
c) It is January and the garage is cold and is likely to be so for another month at least.
I have measured up and simulated the position of all the relevant equipment in the headstock area which will be the most challenging (read congested) and with the help of Slob’s diagram should be able to build and test the loom off the bike in the next couple of weeks.
I managed to find a 25mm rear wheel spindle, nut, adjuster side plates and adjuster blocks on ebay for £40. I will wait to enlarge the existing 17mm spindle slots in the swinging arm until it is off the bike.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote