View Single Post
Old 24-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
You've obviously never ridden an Evo down a bumpy B-road, Blunt!

The progressively sprung Marzocchi forks and Sachs shock were woefully inadequate for my kind of riding (twiddy B-roads at (mostly) legal speeds). The forks would fire off bumps and crash into potholes while the shock would kick you out of the saddle at the slightest provocation.

There's a stretch of straight road near me with a slight 'washboard' effect series of bumps. At 60-70 mph the forks were so bad, my spectacles would bounce off the bridge of my nose. My Gilera Runner actually coped with the bumps better at the same speeds.

No amount of adjustment made any difference.

However, after fitting the Öhlins and having the forks reworked by K-tech, the difference was like night and day. You can still feel the bumps but the bike now follows a line and you're no longer kicked out of the saddle. A tangible indication that the suspension is working is the traction control light; with the old set-up, the red light would constantly be flickering over the bumps even on a steady throttle but, with the reworked suspension, along the same road at the same speeds, the light comes on maybe only two or three times.

I definitely owe Chris.p a drink as it was his posts that pointed me towards K-tech.

I guess it depends on your type of riding and the sort of roads you ride but, for me, this was money very well spent, which has increased my riding enjoyment no end.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote